The Risks of Self-Installation of your Auto Sound System

The risks of installing your own auto sound system may be greater than you realize. The fact is that there are people that are professionally trained in the installation and proper handling of these delicate sound systems for a reason. If it weren't a difficult task they wouldn't be able to demand the rather hefty price tag that most installation centers charge. The problem is that mistakes can actually cost more than the installation. If you aren't one hundred percent certain that you can handle the installation process alone it is best to leave it up to the experts.

To prove my point, I will give you my very own personal story of how auto sound system installations can go horribly (well, perhaps hilariously would be the better choice of words in my particular situation) of course. You see I wanted a CD player in my mini van about 13 years ago. This was back in the dark ages when these types of sound systems were still relatively new and on the 'cutting edge' when it came to technology.

These types of auto sound systems were definitely not the norm as they are in today's cars. I was commuting 3 hours (round trip) each day at the time and some of the time was spent among the corn fields where there were no towers broadcasting radio signals anywhere nearby. I'm sure you can see why I felt I needed a CD player. At any rate, my wonderful dear old dad installed my brand new car (well mini van) stereo for me and all seemed to be going well until we realized that the horn no longer worked and that in order to actually use the stereo, the headlights must be on (this was also before daytime running lights were the norm as well).


Now that you've finished laughing I'm sure you can understand why I am a huge advocate for having professional handle issues of installation when it comes to auto sound systems. It isn't that my dad, whom I love dearly for the effort, was incompetent when it comes to technical matters, in fact, he is highly skilled in these sorts of things ordinarily, it is simply that car stereos are so terrible complicated that it takes more than merely reading a set of instructions in order to get the maximum effect from your installation endeavors.



I have heard horror stories, particularly related to in dash installations that have resulted in some people having to make serious and costly repairs to their cars in order to fix the damage inflicted by installations by those who either lacked the proper tools, proper training, or a little bit of both for installing auto sound systems. While some drivers don't spend all that much time in their vehicles on any given day there are many commuters who put many miles on their cars, trucks, or SUVs during the course of a week. For these drivers it is often very important that they have the best possible sound systems for their vehicles. They will rely on their stereos to find out about weather conditions, traffic tie-ups, news, and possibly even entertainment during their long drives. If sound and music plays an important role in your life, don't you deserve the best auto sound system possible?


Bookmark and Share